HOME GLOBAL DISTRICTS CLUBS MISSING HISTORIES PAUL HARRIS PEACE
PRESIDENTS CONVENTIONS POST YOUR HISTORY WOMEN FOUNDATION COMMENTS PHILOSOPHY
SEARCH SUBSCRIPTIONS FACEBOOK JOIN RGHF EXPLORE RGHF RGHF QUIZ RGHF MISSION
Home SECTION HOME Histories of Rotary Districts & Clubs - www.districthistory.org SEARCH
REGIONS COUNTRIES DISTRICTS RI ARCHIVES FOR CLUBS CLUBS SUBMIT YOUR DISTRICT HISTORY
    HISTORY CALENDAR COMMITTEE WHAT'S NEW? DISCUSSION
 

THE HISTORY OF DISTRICT 4240

EL SALVADOR, NICARAGUA, COSTA RICA and PANAMA

A Part of Our History of Rotary in Central America

Prepared by the district and not verified by Rotary Global History

CLUBS

 

The history of District 4240 is a mirror of its neighbouring District 4250 between 1919 and 1995 when their histories diverged.

The early history is repeated here.

 

The beginnings of Rotary in Central America:
In 1919 Rotary arrived in Central America and Panama to be part of District 68 which then included the Central American countries of Panama, Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador. At this point in time, the Rotary Club of Panama was the only club in these four countries and one of the first countries in the region.

In 1925, Juan Antonio had joined the Rotary Club of Guatemala City and in 1927 he was responsible for the incorporation of the Rotary Clubs of San Jose (Costa Rica) and San Salvador (El Salvador). It was therefore inevitable that the RC of Panama would provide the first District Governor. The first District Governor was Juan Antonio Guisado from Panama, in the year 1929.


By the year 1929 new clubs had been formed in Tegucigalpa, the capital and largest city of Honduras, and also in Managua (see below), the capital and largest city in Nicaragua.

It was in this year that district renumbering occurred, creating District #74 which included all clubs from Central America and Belize.
In this year the District Governor was Luis Alfaro Durón from the Rotary Club of San Salvador.

In 1931 Ernesto Schaeffer became the first President of the Rotary Club of Guatemala upon its formation.
In 1933, Antonio Peña Cavaría became the first President of the new Rotary Club of San José, Costa Rica.

In 1938, District 74 is renumbered to District 42 which comprised the same Central American countries plus Belize.

 

In 1940 Jorge Fidel Durón became the first District Governor from Honduras.

 

In 1947 another redistricting occurred when the number 42 was altered to 110 and the first District Governor was Francisco Reyes from the Rotary Club of Santa Ana in El Salvador.  The clubs and countries in the new number remained the same.

In 1957 the Belize club was born and again, Rotary District number changes occurred giving the new District 424 and its first District Governor was Tomas Jimmy Butter from the Rotary Club of Christopher Columbus. Still, the countries and clubs included in the district remained unchanged.

 

After 38 years of co-existence, and in the year 1995,  the Central American union was disrupted when El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama becomes District 4240 and the Belize, Guatemala and Honduras are allocated District 4250.

 

CLUBS
 
Historical review of the San Salvador sur rotary club
In the middle of the year 1977, a group de young members belonging to the Club Rotaract of San Salvador (the only Club Rotaract at that time) reached the required age to belong to that Club (founded in 1971 - 28 years was the maximum age); and by the initiative of members of the San Salvador Rotary Club, of whom we can mention, Luis Alonso Rendon, José Maria Duran, Rolando Duarte, Dr. Fidel Marquez, Pascual Varo, Guillermo Echeverria and other members, decided to form a group of 20 professionals, some were ex-Rotaract and others chosen for their high spirit of service and friendship, to form the San Salvador Sur Rotary Club.

Then in August was when they began to function as a Rotary Club and then Rotary International sent the founders constitution letter dated the 31st of December, 1977 whereas the Club was officially formed with the following beginning members:

 
Jack DavisOn the 28th of February, 1978 the President of Rotary International, Jack Davis, personally
presented to the President, Lic. Raul Mendez Melendez in the Salon VIP in the Ilopango Airport, the founder's constitution letter for the San Salvador Sur Rotary Club, when Rotary completed 73 years of existence.
 

acknowledgements to the District Board, Clubs, Members, Webmaster and Wikipedia

posted by RGHF Webmaster Greg Barlow. September 2008