HOME GLOBAL DISTRICTS CLUBS MISSING HISTORIES PAUL HARRIS PEACE
PRESIDENTS CONVENTIONS POST YOUR HISTORY WOMEN FOUNDATION COMMENTS PHILOSOPHY
SEARCH SUBSCRIPTIONS FACEBOOK JOIN RGHF EXPLORE RGHF RGHF QUIZ RGHF MISSION
Home SECTION HOME Histories of Rotary Districts & Clubs - www.districthistory.org SEARCH
REGIONS COUNTRIES DISTRICTS RI ARCHIVES FOR CLUBS CLUBS SUBMIT YOUR DISTRICT HISTORY
    HISTORY CALENDAR COMMITTEE WHAT'S NEW? DISCUSSION

THE DISTRICT 3310 HISTORY

Prepared by the district and not verified by Rotary Global History

Between 1929 and 1930, seven Rotary Clubs were organised in the then Malay Peninsula and Siam region. The clubs included Seremban (20/09/1929) Kuala Lumpur (27/09/1929), Ipoh (11/10/1929), Klang-Port Swettenham (07/05/1930), Singapore (06/06/1930) and Malacca (08/07/1930) and Penang (12/08/1930),. When these clubs were formed, the Malay Peninsula and Siam were undistricted. The Rotary Club of Singapore was chartered on 11/08/1930 followed by Rotary Club of Malacca which was chartered on 8 September of the same year.

On 1 July 1931, the Malay Peninsula and Siam were designated as Provisional District "B" and on 1 July 1935, French Indo-China which comprised Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam was included in Provisional District "B" which together became a regular district of Rotary International (District 80). His Royal Highness Prince Purachatra of Thailand (Siam) became the first District Governor of District 80.

On 13 April 1936, Sarawak, Brunei and British North Borneo (which is now known as Sabah) were also included in District 80. The Japanese Occupation between 1942 and 1946 saw the suspension by Rotary International of all clubs in District 80 and the District was voided. Sarawak and Sabah subsequently became part of Malaysia.

On 18 December 1946 after the war, Rotary International then re-instated District 80 after a resolution in 1946 following an application by all clubs concerned. All Rotary clubs previously in District 80 were re-admitted and the District re-established. Klang and Coast, however, did not apply for re-instatement and as a result joined the fold only in 1961.

During 1948-49, all Districts in RI were re-numbered and District 80 became District 46. All Districts were again re-numbered on 1 July 1957 and District 46 became District 330. In 1981, Rotary International established District 335, which was to include Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam leaving clubs in Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei as District 330. On 1 July 1991, with the number of clubs totaling over 80, District 330 was divided into District 3300 consisting of clubs in Peninsula Malaysia, but excluding Johor and Melaka, and District 3310 consisting of clubs in Johor, Melaka, Sabah, Sarawak and Labuan (all states of Malaysia), as well as Singapore and Brunei.

The oldest Club in the District is RC Singapore, chartered on 11 August 1930.

As of 1 July 2008, District 3310 comprises of 68 clubs with about 1860 Rotarians, 44 Rotaract Clubs and 156 Interact Clubs.

This history extracted from D3310 web site by Greg Barlow, webmaster for RGHF.

 

RGHF Home | Disclaimer | Privacy | Usage Agreement | RGHF on Facebook | Subscribe | Join RGHF - Rotary's Memory Since 2000