|HOME||GLOBAL||DISTRICTS||CLUBS||MISSING HISTORIES||PAUL HARRIS||PEACE|
|PRESIDENTS||CONVENTIONS||POST YOUR HISTORY||WOMEN||FOUNDATION||COMMENTS||PHILOSOPHY|
|SEARCH||SUBSCRIPTIONS||JOIN RGHF||EXPLORE RGHF||RGHF QUIZ||RGHF MISSION|
Brief histories of the "First 100" Clubs
Rotary Club of Nashville 94
Rotary International District 6760
The Rotary Club of Nashville was organized on November 19, 1913, when thirteen businessmen of the city first gathered at the office of James A. Cayce, President of B. H. Steif Jewelry Company. Present at the meeting were:
James A. Cayce Allen Meadors
Emmett Cooper S. Walter McGill
Frank Langham Henry Teitlebaum
J. P. Lawrence Roy Williams
Charter Number 94 was granted to the Club on February 1, 1914. There are now over 33,000 clubs in Rotary International with over 1,200,000 members in 160 countries of the world. Charter members, in addition to the thirteen men listed above were:
G. W. Beckett Chas. A. Howell
C. H. Brandon Otto Hylen
R. B. Brannon John A. Jones
W. S. Booton Wm. V. Kennedy
Walter H. Clarke Will R. Manier Jr.
Fisher Coles A. T. Martin
Dr. Earle Collier S. Walter McGill
Olney Davies Dr. J. T. Meadors
Charles Davitt D. H. Pinner
Walter Derickson O. M. Russell
Hugo Dorris J. W. Spillers
John Early A. H. Wenning
Frank G. Fite Sam Woolwine
The club in 1920 raised money to buy a farm for Alvin C. York, World War I hero and made Sergeant York an honorary member of the Club.
In the decade of the 1920’s, our club worked with the Tennessee Crippled Children’s Commission, raised funds for Japanese earthquake victims, and began an annual boy’s Hobby Fair that lasted until World War.
depression years of the 1930’s, the club remained stable but did not
expand in membership or program.
Twenty-four Nashville Rotarians served in World War II, and the club helped in war bond sales and aided in the purchase of a sub-chaser for the war effort.
In 1944, a tract
of land of 222 acres in
In a fatal decision, the club moved its offices to the Maxwell House Hotel in 1951. Ten years later on Christmas Eve, 1961, all of the club’s records were lost to the fire that consumed the hotel.
In 1964, Nashville
Rotary built a wing addition for the Children’s Museum (later the
undertook a cooperative program with Youthtown in
Rotary sponsored college scholarships for youth from the early 1950s until 2008. And, in 1989, the club pledged to give $150,000 for the world fight against Polio, a program of the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International that will see the eradication of polio throughout the world within the next two years.
With the close of
the Girl’s Ranch, the club made the decision to sale the property in
The club fully embraces the Rotary motto, “Service Above Self” and requires that all projects include a “hands-on” volunteer component with members’ providing hundreds of hours in volunteer service.
Club’s existence, our club has participated in programs sponsored by
Rotary International including sponsorship of numerous Ambassadorial
Scholars; hosting in-bound and out-bound Rotary exchange students; and
have hosted dozens of group study exchange teams, as well as provided
leadership and members for teams going abroad.
The goal of our international focus has been to build goodwill
and understanding among all peoples.
The Rotary Club of
Nashville has furnished the following Rotary International leaders:
Rotary International President: Will R. Manier
James H. Allison
James A. Cayce
N. T. Lowry
T. Graham Hall
Joe B. Sills
Albert W. Hutchison
John L. Hill
Charles E. Laine